These rules and regulations were adopted under the Subdivision Control Law, MGL Ch. 41, Section 81-K through 81-GG inclusive. The subdivision regulations were adopted for the purpose of protecting the safety, convenience and welfare of the residents of the City of Peabody by “regulating the laying out and constructions of ways in subdivisions providing access to the several lots therein, but which have not become public ways, and ensuring sanitary conditions in subdivisions and in proper cases, parks and open areas.”
- Adequate access to all of the lots in a subdivision by ways that will be safe and convenient for travel
- For lessening congestion in such ways and in the adjacent public ways
- For reducing danger of life and limb in the operation of motor vehicles
- For securing safety in case of fire, flood, panic and other emergencies
- For insuring compliance with the applicable Zoning ordinance
- For securing adequate provision for water, sewerage, drainage, underground utility services, fire, police and other similar municipal equipment, and street lighting
- For coordinating the ways in a subdivision with each other and with the public ways in the City and with the ways in neighboring subdivisions.
The Planning Board is also part of the review process, through public hearing, for any changes to the Peabody Zoning Ordinance.
The Planning Board grants land subdivision approvals only. Departments that sign off on subdivisions are: Department of Public Services & Engineering and Fire Department (for access/egress).
$500.00 plus $150.00/lot when following a preliminary plan
Planning Board Contact Information